LEVEL 1 AVALANCHE TRAINING
We’ve partnered with the American Avalanche Institute to offer Avalanhe Level 1 Certificate
- What's Included?
- Gear List
- Reserve Now
The course and instruction is led by Wasatch Mountain Guide Instructors. You’ll complete self-paced online learning plus two field days in the backcountry of the Wasatch Mountains.
You will gain avalanche knowledge and skills. The online course is made up of videos, a workbook and an online study guide. After passing all sections within the online course, you’ll spend 2 days in the field. During the field days, you’ll sort and prioritize information in the complex environment of the backcountry.
Level 1 Avalanche Training Logistics
FIELD DAYS AVALANCHE TRAINING
The online course will introduce you to avalanche concepts including avalanche terminology, recognizing avalanche terrain, travel procedures in avalanche terrain, formation of the mountain snowpack, how weather changes the snowpack, human factors, interpreting the avalanche forecast bulletin, planning, rescue skills, field observations of terrain, snowpack, and weather, stability testing and more.
The field days will be full 8-hour days based in Big or Little Cottonwood Canyon, and will cover:
- Terrain Assessment
- Safe Travel
- Snowpack and Weather
- Tour Planning
- Field Ops
- Stability Test Use
- Interpretation Rescue (including beacon search, probing techniques, and strategic shoveling).
ONLINE COURSE AVALANCHE TRAINING
The second part of the Avalanche Level 1 Training Course is spent applying your knowledge in the backcountry over two full days. This offer includes four available dates (see below). However, if you’d like to book a separate days, please CONTACT US as we offer custom date packages. Note: the discounted rate only applies to the below dates.
Level 1 Avalanche Training Includes:
- 24 hrs. of Instruction (2 field days + evening virtual meeting + Self-paced online learning course)
- The online portion of this course was produced and developed by the American Avalanche Institute and is focused on the Backcountry Avalanche Checklist. This is a systemic approach to decision making in the complex backcountry environment.
- The online course can be done at your own pace and is rich with informative videos and discussions. Each section has a quiz that must be completed in order to continue. The quizzes can be reviewed, complete with explanations on the correct answers.
- There is a workbook that goes along with the online course, which dives even deeper into the learning. Conveniently there are also note outlines to assist with your studies.
L1 Avalanche Training Pricing Details
- December - March
Custom dates may be available, contact us for more information
Rates by Client:Guide Ratios
5:1 $515 per person
4:1 $540 per person
3:1 $620 per person
2:1 $730 per person
1:1 $1025 per person
Custom group sizes may be available, contact us for more information